Having blood leaking from breast duct. Should I be worried?
First I have a few questions before we get you a great answer:
1. Have you ever been evaluated for a breast lump in the past?
2. Have you ever had a mammogram?
3. Do you have a family history of breast cancer?
4. Have you ever been pregnant, and if so, did you breast feed?
Thank you - I look forward to your answers!
I understand your concern regarding this discharge, especially given your Mother's history. When we see women with bleeding from the nipple, it simply means that there is something in the breast duct that is bleeding. This might include:
1. Intraductal pre-cancerous or cancerous changes,
2. A bleeding papilloma (like a polyp in the duct)
3. Benign 'fibrocystic changes' that might involve the duct itself.
#1 is the least likely possibility (so I am sorry that I listed it first) but you definitely need to get this evaluated. Here is what should happen:
1. You need to contact your Primary Doctor
2. You need a referral for a breast ultrasound AND mammogram
3. You should probably coordinate this imaging with a visit in a General Surgery or Breast clinic, so they can assess whether they want to send the blood for 'cytology' which means that they are looking for abnormal cells.
I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have ANY additional questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have lump in breast should i be worried
- Lump on breast feedind breast shall i worry
- Painless lump in between the breasts should i be worried
- What is meant by leaking breast should i be concerned
- Blood in the breast
- Pain under breast discomfort should i be worried
- Irregular periods pain in breast no blood in breast milk
- Having blood leaking from breast duct should i be worried
- Is blood discharge from breast a sign of breast cancer
- Should i be worried of slightly enlarged breast
- Brown spotting after normal periods. Ovulation starts. No yeast...
- Throbbing in head, sore throat, dizziness, frequent fevers, mouth...
- Why does my vagina smell like a fart?
- Sudden terrible hot flushes. What is it about?
- Have bumps on vagina. Never had any sexual contact. Is this normal? How...
- Is it safe to take new drug esme that shrinks fibroids before surgery?
- Ultrasound showed bulky and heterogeneous uterus. Suggested progesterone...
- Noticed painful and hard nodules on labia. What should I do?
- On IUD. Feeling tired and pain. Suggested for surgery. Is it safe to...
- Pregnant. Started spotting and feeling constipated. Am I miscarrying....