Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having bleeding gums. Suggested scaling. Any other solution for bleeding gums?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1011 Questions
hi sir,

I am having the bleeding gums problem and my dentist is asking to have scaling every 4-5 month is there any other solution to cure the bleeding gum problem permanently because this problem reoccurs again after 1.5 -2 months after getting the scaling of teeth and gums.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 7 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Bleeding gum problem is called gingivitis.This occurs due to local factors like poor oral hygiene,continuous deposition of plaque and calculus.This cannot be cleaned by manual tooth brushing.

The amount of calculus deposition depends upon oral environment of mouth,saliva,tooth morphology (shape) and many more factors.

Therefore, it is advised to get professional cleaning called scaling done every six monthly.

For permanent relief you can go for flap surgery,done for gums.This is done by periodontist(dentist dealing with gum tissues).

In this case the gum flap is opened and thoroughly cleaned and then repositioned,so that gingival(gum) health can be restored.

But please remember that before going for periodontal flap surgery, you must get your blood test done for estimating sugar level in your body.

Also blood pressure should be checked,and you should be free from habits like smoking or tobacco chewing.

Hope i have answered your query and provided you required information.
For further query please let me know.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor