Having bleeding 7 weeks after tubal ligation which was performed postpartum. Is this normal?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am 7 weeks post tubal burning/litigation which was performed 6 weeks post partum. I bled for almost 3 weeks after the procedure and then I had my menstural cycle, I have been bleeding for over a week post coital, bright red at first then dark with clots. Is this normal or should I contact my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Better to consult gynecologist once Detailed Answer: Hi, As 7 weeks over after your tubal ligation, the bleeding now you are having may not be related to that. As the bleeding started after intercourse, the possible causes for the bleeding are : - Post coital tear. This can present with pain and bleeding after intercourse. Fresh bleeding can occur initially. Later because of dislodgment clots can come out. - Local causes like cervical erosion etc can bleed after intercourse. So, better to consult gynecologist once and get examined to find out the exact cause and take treatment accordingly. If there is any doubt regarding the success of the tubal ligation, once go for ultrasound with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad