Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Having balancing problem. Predicted a spinal stenosis but not sure. Treatment without surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 479 Questions
This question is for my father.Not able to have a balanced walking.not able to stand straight without support.Predicted a spinal stenosis but not sure.
Wht process should be followed avoiding surgery.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 27 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

From your query,I learn that your father had prior history of hip replacement and have stent in heart and presently has unsteadiness while walking and unable to stand straight.

There are many causes for unsteadiness while walking .The most common causes at his age being , posterior circulation stroke ( cerebellar involvement),Normal pressure hydrocephalus,Cervical spinal cord lesion ,peripheral neuropathy and MRI is contraindicated. He would require CT scan brain, and CT spine to make sure the cause of ataxia ( unsteadiness).

If suspecting spinal stenosis,( a condition in which spinal canal space which occupies spinal cord is narrowed because of degenerating disease of spine with discs at multiple level) he would benefit with neuralgic drugs like pregabalin with methycobal combinations and lumbosacral belt to prevent further damage .Other option is epidural steroids if no relief with medical management.

Discuss with your treating Neurophysician and plan aforementioned tests.

Kindly get back if you require any additional information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor