Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Having backache and feeling sick, not able to eat. Given antibiotics for a water infection. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi, I have been having backache and feeling sick for a week now, I have hardly been able to eat anything because of feeling so sick constantly, I havebeen given antibiotics for a water infection but am still waiting for the results of my water sample. I feel constantly sick.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Do you have an abdominal pain? On what location? Does it radiate to the back? Any diarrhea, constipation? Blood in stool? Any burning while urinating, frequent urinating? Is the pain related to the meal?

Back ache and nausea can be caused by gallstones, pancreas inflammation. Stomach issues sometimes give such symptoms as well.

Gallstones give upper middle or right abdominal pain which radiates to the back. The pain is usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol. Nausea and diarrhea can appear.
Pancreas inflammation can give symptoms similar to the gallstones, however the pain is much stronger.

Urinary tract infection gives back pain, lower abdominal pain, frequent urinating (like few times during the night), burning while urinating. Fever and nausea can be also present.

Stomach issues (peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation) causes upper middle abdominal pain which appears 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea is usually present.

If you have diarrhea, gastrointestinal infection is possible. Every diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours, should be verified with stool tests. It will allow to establish which bacteria is causing the infection and which antibiotic will be the most effective.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some basic tests done. Blood work, liver tests, pancreas tests, urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound should be done at first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having backache and feeling sick, not able to eat. Given antibiotics for a water infection. Suggest? 18 minutes later
It's more of an ache at the bottom of my back, I'm just concerned with feeling sick constantly, I have hardly eaten anything since last Friday so could that be making my stomach worse, with feeling sick it's hard to eat anything. I am having bloods taken today.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
All mentioned conditions can cause your symptoms.
Feeling sick and loss of appetite is quite characteristic for stomach issues like peptic ulcer. It is also characteristic that all blood tests and ultrasound are negative with peptic ulcers and only gastroscopy can give proper diagnose.

Gallstones can also give such sickness however the pain is usually the main complain.

Your back pain can be also unrelated to your sickness. Spine problems can give back pain or just strained muscles. However before such diagnose, you should find your sickness reason and check kidneys condition.

So please wait for blood work and see if there will anything in them. In a meanwhile please drink plenty of fluids and try to have mild diet.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor