Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

193 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having back pain and noticed discoloration on lower back. Any ideas?

Answered by
Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 10519 Questions

Hi, I am slightly concerned about some discoloration on my lower back. It seems to be centred around my Kidneys, hence the concern. It started like a rash but without any itching or discomfort and now more closely resembles a reddish patch of bruising and does not hurt but rather feels like a welt. I have suffered from lower back pain in the past and am aware that my job causes the muscles there some strain as I stand for long hours but I have never seen this before. Any ideas?
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The discoloration on your back is not likely to be associated with any kidney problems.
The pain in the lower back is often found in people whose work involves physical effort. In some cases it can be due to weakness of muscles of the back. Regular exercise to strengthen the back muscles often help. It can be due to trauma too. In other cases it can be due to slipped disc, osteoporosis, any deformity of spine , infection or growth. The discoloration sounds like collection of blood under skin from trauma which is gradually getting absorbed. It can also come from excessive use of heating pad.
You can wait for 4-5 weeks for the discoloration to fade spontaneously and avoid applying any heat pads. In case the discoloration persists, then do consult a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on Osteopathy

doctor1 MD

I am 67 and I am an RN. I have a very health diet, but am experiencing some sciatica and joint pain. Do you believe an anti-inflammatory diet works. I also have developed some osteoporosis. I take helath supplements but I do not feel it is helping. I am active and exercise.

doctor1 MD

Hello ,
My mom's been prescribed MECOFOL PLUS NF capsules..She is suffering from osteoporosis and cytica because of menopause. Are there any side effects.??
I am sorry...but i don't have any online bank account and i don't want my mom to know that i am worried so i can't ask her either..

doctor1 MD

My left temple has terrible pain every few seconds and left eye is pouring out water. What can I do? Four days ago I got really sick with deep lung congestion, fever, bad headache, sore throat, and slight neausea. Trying to let my body heal on its own without medicine. The left temple and eye problem didn''t come until two days ago. I am still sick. I am not so nauseated now tho. Every morning I have been gargling and using a nettie pot in and out my nose with salt water. I am 75 yr. old, female, have severe sleep apnea (both central and obstructive) and severe osteoporosis (with compression fractures in my back) and severe digestion problems. I hate to take medicine. What do you suggest?

doctor1 MD

I have permanant nerve damage and spondilosis, osteoporosis, osteoathritis. disk changes. I have been suffering chronic pain for many years now. I had my adrenal glands removed in 2006 due to Cushing s disease. Now on steriods for life. I had a flu shot last friday among other problems and went into an adernal crisis, was hospitalized and had a vomiting episode, every since my back pain got much worse, pain a 9 out of 10. On pain meds it is a 7. Everysince the pain got worse I started getting tremors, my head starts shaking when I turn it to either side and when I smile my mouth and jaw tremors. I also get intermintant shaking. Could this be caused by my back injury from vomiting? or may be the flu shot?

doctor1 MD

I have had sacro-iliac pain for about four months now - it started from overdoing it on an exercise bike. I have had various physiotherapy and osteopathy treatments but it keeps coming back. It s especially painful laying on it at night. I use...

doctor1 MD

How can you keep a newborn from being fussy while awake. The baby is being breastfeed. We have tried swing, rocking in arms -holding tightly, dancing with her and marching? She is being swaddled at night which works during night but daytime is...

doctor1 MD

i had fatty liver (due to being overweight: bmi: 28.1) 3 years ago. no alcohol. at that time 3-4 times elevated enzymes and signs of fat on liver. then i lost weight and my liver enzymes improved. it is last one year my all liver enzymes are...