Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having back pain. Is it safe to go for swimming?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
2 days ago I lent over slightly and now my back has pain. yesterday I went swimming and there were no issues. Today when i woke up I was more restricted in movement in my back. I am wondering if I should go swimming or not today. I am suppose to leave in 40 min. If I shouldnt when should I start swimming in the pool again?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Most common reason for back pain is back muscle sprain. May be a sudden pull of the back muscle can cause sudden onset pain. I would suggest to take maximum rest with restriction of the activities especially lifting heavy things, bending or prolong sitting. I would suggest avoid swimming for 3-5 days. Along with this try anti-inflammatory with muscle relaxants with local get application. These measures should suffice. If symtoms persist for more than a week then you need to consult a physician. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor