Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Having alcoholic liver disease three small gall stones. Diabetic and hypertension. Having high gamma gt level. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
Hi, I have high gamma gt level (345) but have not had any alcohol for over 12 months. I have alcoholic liver desease and 3 small gall stones. I am type 2 diabetic but control it by diet not medication. I also have moderate hypertension 155/71 typ. I take no prescribed medication but occasionally take paracetamol for back pain. My blood is checked monthly and my liver fuction tests are all o.k. except the gamma gt. My doctor can't explain it!
What could be causing it?
ps I am 58 years old
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Elevation of GGT can be multifactorial in you

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Elevation in gamma gt levels may be due to many cause apart from recent intake of alcohol like hypertension, chronic liver disease, cardiovascular disease, drug induced like NSAID (Paracetamol), metabolic syndrome (obesity, Hypertension, DM and dyslipidemia) and Diabetes alone. So in your case it can be multifactorial. So if you are not taking alcohol it can be due to other causes I mentioned above. So what you have to do is control your blood pressure, Diabetes, see for any cardiovascular disease since you are hypertensive and diabetic also, avoid paracetamal instead take analgesic like tramadol which are non NSAID and non opioid analgesic, if obese then reduce your weight, check the extent of alcohol liver disease (ALD) as ALD is spectrum of disease like fatty liver, alcohol hepatitis, cirrhosis, check your lipid profile also and treat them accordingly

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor