Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having abnormal periods. What are the complications?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 79 Questions
My wife is having abnormal periods, since last 19 Sept the same is continuing

pls suggest
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 1 hour later
There can be many abnormalities in the menstrual cycle.
When you say 'having abnormal periods, since last 19 Sept the same is continuing' i presume you mean that your wife's periods started on 19th September and have not stopped since then.
The first thing to do is to rule out and pregnancy related complications. If you can get a first morning, clean urine sample, without any blood from the period, and do a home pregnancy test it would help greatly in the diagnosis. Home pregnancy kits are easily available with local chemists.
(One can get a blood-free urine sample during bleeding by cleaning the area before - backwards and holding the urine collection bottle away from the body, not directly under the body).

If you are not able to do this, get a Serum beta HCG blood test from any lab. This is a very accurate test for pregnancy. At the same time, check Haemoglobin, blood counts for any infections and Coagulation Profile for bleeding disorders. Additional tests may be advised by your doctor e.g. thyroid.

If urine/blood pregnancy test is positive for pregnancy, do a Transvaginal ultrasound for 1) checking whether there is any pregnancy or pregnancy related complication INSIDE the uterus; 2) to rule out a Tubal Pregnancy; 3) to find if there are any fibroids or polyps in the uterus; 4) find out if there are cysts in the ovaries.

You will have a diagnosis by now. Your doctor will be able to review your reports after taking a detailed history, which is very important, and suggest further action.
Hope this answers your question.
All the best,
Dr Nirja Chawla
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor