Having abdominal pain, constipation and feeling bloated. What are the treatment options?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am female, 45yrs of age, 5’6” 180 pounds…initial symptoms started over 6 weeks ago, unspecified abdominal pain, upper abdominal distention, slight constipation, over the next few weeks it has developed into intermittent mild pain on both sides of upper abdomen (which is still distended) with lower ribs tender if I push on them, all the way around to my back. Thin yellow stool that does not float (back to being regular) excess foul flatulence, feels like in “squishing” my insides when I bend over to the side. Used miralax for two days in the beginning, helped clear the constipation, made a few dietary changes, no fatty foods, no dairy, it did not seem to make a difference, actually had a big cheeseburger a week ago and felt better!
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 37 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX
The location of the pain that you mention is the upper
abdomen almost across the belly. Also you mention
bloating or distension and also intermittent constipation
relieved by taking Miralax which is a PEG solution that is
effective for constipation.
I would recommend getting a sonogram of the upper
abdomen to check your liver and gallbladder to look
for stones. The yellow stool that you mention may
mean more bile in your intestine.
If you have not had an upper GI series (X-rays) , I
would recommend that also to rule out Hiatus Hernia
which can give similar symtoms although acid reflux
is more common with this.
It is very possible that you are in the beginning stages
of Lactose intolerance, Celiac disease
can give similar symtoms. Special blood tests can rule this
out and breath test can detect lactose intolerance. It is
possible to develop these late in adult life.
I think sonogram will be the first test I would go with.
Wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 52 minutes later
I thought that gallbladder pain was sharp and lasting 4-15 hrs, but this pain is very mild, more of a nuisance and has been with me now for six weeks. Some days I feel fine, other days it is very noticeable. The pain does not actually extend across the belly more like the side areas where my colon bends. Would that still make you think gallbladder problems? That being said, In your opinion, would be ok for me to wait until after the holidays to start testing or could this be the start of something more serious that needs attending to?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 56 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
If the gallbladder attack is mild you may not have all
the typical symptoms like severe right upper quadrant
pain, nausea,vomiting,fever and chills and yellow
jaundice. Vague symptoms like bloating and mild
abdominal pain could indicate the presence of gallstones.
So long as the symtoms are not very severe, you can wait
to have those tests.
Happy holidays and wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 24 minutes later

Dr Narasi,

Thank you for all your help, happy holidays to you and yours.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Thank you very much XXXXXXX !
I just want to tell you XXXXXXX is my
favorite name !
God Bless !