Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Having abdominal pain below rib cage, diarrhoea. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
i have abdominal pain just below the rib cage at the centre area .needles poking pain felt at naval area also.have watery stools and even after going to toilet the urge is still there but nothing comes out .during sports felt pain in lower right abdominal
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
According to your history, there is possibility of Lactose intolerance and diet XXXXXXX in fats, carbohydrates and less in fibre. Eating bakery products, pastries, would add on to symptoms and cause the problem as well.

Since you have frequent diarrhoea, it could be attributed to a possible irritable bowel. Avoid high carbohydrate diet, high fat diet. Eat high protein diet consisting of cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat and also plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables which add bulk to your stools. Drink plenty of water to speed up bowel movement as well.

The fact that you have stomach aches, altered bowel habits - these symptoms can be taken care of with antispasmodics and anti diarrhoeal like Lomotil.

You can consult your Doctor and get yourself evaluated including a stool test to rule out presence of parasites, any features of absorption problem in intestine etc.

Do daily brisk walking and get 6-8 hours of sleep. Do Yoga to help relieve stress.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain below rib cage, diarrhoea. What treatment should be done? 7 hours later
Digestion is faster than usual as normally i see my stomach full for at least 4 hrs after food but this week the full stomach goes away like in 2 hrs .stomach pain has lasted for 2 months but pain move around from centre upper than to right middle / lower than left lower abdomen . This actually happen after heavy alchol drinking of brandy and beer .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is associated with intake of alcohol, then it is likely to be due to gastric acidity. You can start taking anti ulcer drugs like Omeprazole and antacids daily and avoid having alcohol.
I recommend you go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets.
You should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. After 7 days you should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of your symptoms.

Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking.Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain below rib cage, diarrhoea. What treatment should be done? 41 hours later
Actually abdorminal pain have subside this two days but have new symtoms of cold sweat during sports , fast heart beat even when inactive , dry cough ,not able to sleep well (3hrs and i wake up ). All the above listed from first question onward leads to hiv symtoms . But will be getting my blood tested nxt week so hope for the best . And thank you for helping
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your symptoms are more likely to be due to a generalised viral infection rather than HIV. Taking adequate nutrients, plenty of fluids, vitamin C supplements, electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like oralyte, etc will help in remission of symptoms over next 1-2 weeks.
You can get your blood tests done next week in case the symptoms do not improve after taking all these measures.
Take care.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor