Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Having abdominal pain and bloating. Low grade fever and body ache. Could anal fissures cause bowel cramps?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
hello doctor, please help! I live in Holland, where doctors (physicians) are not as knowledgeable as American doctors are. Here is my problem: Today is the 3rd day since I have developed abdominal pain, bloating, gas in the area of my bowels. Yesterday it became worse (I could hardly sleep). I had a low grade fever 37,1 and body ache all over. Today, my temperature is normal, I don't have body aches, but pain, gas and bloating persists. Even drinking water, or soup makes it worse. Perhaps I should mention that I've had a similar episodes in March of this year,and my physician had suspected diverticulitis.The symptoms did last long, so it was left inconclusive. I have history of annal fissures, and actually, for the last 5 months they are still bothering me (as we speak ) after the last flier up in May of this year.Could annal fissures give this bowel cramps as I have describe, or it looks more like acute diverticulitis? I asked my doctor today to order a simple blood test, stool sample (for blood) and to also check for possible viral infection (although I have a normal stool and no vomiting)Thank you for your help with this. Sincerely, XXXX
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

These symptoms are more suggestive of acute diverticulitis or it may acute infectious enteritis.Anal fissure do not lead to cramps and fever, so it appears to be very remote possibility. for confirming I will like to advise to get some blood tests like complete haemogram and may be blood culture. Among imaging CT scan of abdomen will be the best choice for confirming the diagnosis. meanwhile take a course of antibiotics and antispasmodic agent.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor