Having abdominal pain. X-ray, ultrasound and blood test normal. What is going on?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello Doctor! I have spent a year had pain in the left side of the abdomen, feels like kidney! it cuts, pulls, aches and pains come and go. my doctor has done many test example. (X-ray of the kidneys 10 months ago, X-ray with contrast upper and lower abdomen 8 months ago, ultrasound of the spleen, gallbladder, liver and pancreas, lots of blood and urine samples sent to the lab. I 've even been to the hematologist and all my tests were good there too., I have a lot of air in the stomach and I'm worried about this, what's going on with my left kidney? have pain under the ribs on the back and side of and on. I think it is embarrassing to go to the doctor again. otherwise I feel pretty good little tired and sore in my joints. hoping you take any of what I wrote. thank you!

Sincerely,
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 39 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX ,
I am glad that you have had what looks like an extensive
workup, including blood tests, x-rays,ultrasound etc.
One thing that stood out from your history is excess gas
in the stomach. Trapped gas can cause lot of distress by
pressure on the surrounding organs and nerve endings.
I will tell you the sources of gas.
Everytime we eat or drink we swallow air. If you are one
of those that eat a hurried meal, you may be swallowing
more air. The second source is the act of fermentation during
digestive process. Mostly sugars or carbohydrates can cause
more gas. Certain legumes such as lentils, Beans, can also
do this. If you have lactose Intolerance , this will cause
excess gas. Using chewing gum containing sorbitol can
produce excess gas. Fructose products can give you gas.
Make sure you were tested for Celiac Disease by special
blood tests.
Peppermint oil has been known to cut down bloating.
Hope you can discuss these with your doctor.
I wish you well.