• question-icon

Having abdominal burning and pain with nausea and bloating. Have elevated lymphocytes. What is it?

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello I am a 31 year old female. No past medical issues. I started experiencing upper abdominal burning and pain along with nausea and lower abdominal cramps and bloating. ER ruled out gallbladder , and or pancreatitis . But my lymphocytes were elevated to 45. I suffer from severe anxiety and this has my very concerned that I have leukemia or lymphoma or something awful. Any input?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Gall bladder stones/ inflammation and pancreatitis are the two most common causes of pain experienced by you. Other than that such burning pain and bloating may also be due to gastritis or any mild stomach infection. Gastritis may occur due to prolonged fasting, eating spicy foods or taking alcohol. It would be important to know if the pain occurred in the past and if yes, then for how long is it usually present. Concerning the present episode of pain, knowing the onset, duration and any relation to food intake might help. Leukemia and lymphoma are serious diseases and the patient usually has significant loss of weight, continuous fever, spleen enlargement, and lymph node enlargement. There is no need to worry for this as the ER doctors might have screened you for it. You may relax and let your anxiety levels down for the moment. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I have never experienced symptoms like this in the past. The fact that my lymphocytes are 45 is that reason to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Peripheral blood smear test is reliable Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update. The normal range of lymphocytes in an adult are up to 42% so you having 45% can be taken as slightly above the upper limits. This can occur in mild infections. Concerning your anxiety, I would suggest you to get a peripheral blood smear to look for any abnormal lymphocytes. It is a very simple tells and tells about the red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Any immature lymphocytes will be seen in this test. Though this is not essential in your situation, I am suggesting it because you want to make sure its got nothing to do with leukemia and there is no other simpler and reliable test than this one. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist