Having a bony bump in chest, hyperthyroid and hearing sounds from left knee. Will it lead to joint problems?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thanks for helping me out with my last query regarding bony bump in chest. Though a little pain is still there but i have still not stopped my jogging and stretching exercises. Hope this muscular pain will go away.

I have one more question. When I lie down on floor and perform exercise where I move my legs as if I am peddling a cycle, I hear a sound of "tick-tick" from my left knee. No such sound comes out from right knee. I tried touching my left knee and pressed the area from where the sound comes. After pressing, the sound reduces and there is no pain. Is it normal to have such sound coming from joints or is it indication of something not right and beginning of some bone erosion (hope this is the right word)? By the way, I am hyperthyroid which is under control with medicines Neomercazole and heard that this may lead to joint problems in old age. As of now I am 33.

Also, can it be due to jogging etc where I might be putting weight on left leg more than on right leg which might have caused some damage to left knee. sounds absurd but still want to clear my doubt :)
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It may or may not be significant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for approaching me again for your health problem.

Let me brief you about the noises that arise in and around the joints. Noise arising outside the joint (extra articular) is a "thud" whereas noise arising from inside the joint (intra articular) is a "click". So, it has to be determined primarily whether the noise is arising from outside the joint or inside the joint, which will be diagnosed by physical examination.

In most cases, these noises are not indicative of any underlying problem.

If there is no pain associated with the annoying joint cracks or pops, you can assume it is being caused by the soft tissue in a joint, and is not something to worry about much.

In the knee, for example, cracking or popping may occur if the patella (knee cap) is slightly out of alignment, and rubs on the adjacent tissues. Other causes of joint noise is the snapping of tendons or soft tissue over a prominence or something referred to as cavitation. Cavitation frequently occurs in synovial joints when a small vacuum forms in the synovial fluid and a rapid release produces a sharp popping or cracking sound.

Any joint popping or cracking that is associated with pain may indicate damage to the articulating surfaces of the joint. Such pops, cracks, creaks and
clicks could be due to tissue damage, such as a tear in the meniscus of the knee.
So, in this case, you need to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further