Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Having PCOD. Suffering from irregular periods. Prescribed with evadiol tablet. Is the medication helpful?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
Hi, we are planning for child and my wife periods are not regular she have PCOD oveary , we also treatted her last 6 month for TV in ovary, now all treatment is finish , we are planning for baby , her dr has suggested her evadiol tablet, is this helpfull?, her ovaluation is not confirm many ti,mes and suggest hpw we shld go ahead? is IVA recommended??
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: LINE OF ACTION SUGGESTED. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Women with PCOD often have difficulty in regular ovulation and menstruation. Also, tuberculosis ( I assume you mean TB by TV ) - further can damage the uterus, tubes and ovaries. Evadiol contains estrogen tablets, it is given in women who have thin endometrium ( lining of the uterus ) and helps to build up the lining , and lead to increased menstrual flow. As there is difficulty in ovulation, and further history of TB, please take the following steps - 1. Consult an Infertility Specialist at the earliest, do not waste more time. 2. Have basic tests such as - complete blood count, blood group, viral markers, thyroid function tests, FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, free testosterone, DHEAS, glucose tolerance test. 3. Pelvic ultrasound scan. 4. Cycle of follicular monitoring - to confirm if ovulation is occurring or not. 5. Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy to check if the fallopian tubes are open - as there is history of tuberculosis, which might block the tubes. 6. Complete semen analysis and semen culture. Once this workup is finished, then the line of treatment will be clear. If ovulation is normal, and tubes are open - try naturally for 3 - 6 months, continuing follicular study to pinpoint fertile days ( ovulatory period ). If ovulation is not normal, then try 3 - 6 cycles of follicular study alongwith medications to stimulate ovulation ( clomiphene citrate ). These attempts can be combined with IUI ( intra uterine insemination ) to boost the chances of pregnancy. If the tubes are blocked / 3 - 6 cycles of folllicular monitoring with treatment fail, then go for IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). Meanwhile, do not worry and relax, as newer technologies have made it possible for most couples to conceive. Take regular folic acid supplements, maintain an ideal weight and reduce stress levels. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having PCOD. Suffering from irregular periods. Prescribed with evadiol tablet. Is the medication helpful? 6 minutes later
tubes are check , have regular opening, there is a line in left ovary , right ovary is ok. Semen analysis is also ok. Can you suggest what is IVA and how much it cost?? My wife did had a pregnancy once, but that child did not develop due to TB as stated earlier, now that is cured. Can you suggest as my wife is very desperate and its tough to convince her to remain clam. What and how should be approach this in a systamatic way??
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello As the tubes are open, you can go for 3 - 6 cycles of ovulation induction with IUI as suggested by me. IUI means intra uterine insemination - your semen sample is processed for best results and directly injected inside the cervix. By IVA, I think you mean IVF ( in vitro fertilization ) - here male and female gametes are fertilized outside the body, and then the fertilized embryo is injected inside the uterine cavity. In India, IVF can cost anywhere between 1 - 5 lakhs per attempt depending on the city and the centre chosen, while IUI is less expensive ( 5000 - 0000 ) and less taxing for the patient. Please consult a leading Infertility specialist in your city for the needed course of action. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor