Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having GERD , skin irritation, blurry vision. Drinks and smokes. Found polyps after colonoscopy. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My husband, 32 year old white male, has had an approximately 10 month history of GI issues, simple skin irritation, and now intermittent blurry vision. Initially our physician chalked it all up to anxiety. He was seen by an ER service where they did imaging of his brain (CT?), BNP testing and some other tests. My husband smokes between 1/2-1 pack of cigarettes a day, drinks beer anywhere between 3-5 days a week and does not have a healthy diet.

We started with a general practitioner that performed routine CBC/chemistry - which was normal. We have done trials of anti-anxiety medications - made stomach feel worse. Referred to a gastroenterologist. Did testing for celiac's - came back as one of the antigens were positive. Upper GI showed gastritis. After the upper GI was done he still felt bad. Moved on to colonoscopy - found polyps, recommended rechecking colonoscopy in 5 years. For a brief period of time after the colonoscopy his symptoms subsided, however they always return.

He complains of GERD type symptoms (acid reflux, foam in the back of his mouth), stomach pain (upper, middle abdomen) that can change places and radiate down the side of his abdomen, small little pink bumps that come and go, and now he says his vision gets blurry sometimes.

I'm at a loss as to explanations. His concern was some sort of autoimmune disease. I was wondering if Helicobactor pylori can cause similar signs. Or we could have completely separate disease processes going on.

He has a history of seasonal allergies and penicillin allergy
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,
Let me tell you that these problems could be related and/or a second separate cause for blurring vision may be possible. Without a neurological and systemic examination, it is difficult to further narrow down the possibilities.

From the blurring vision point of view, I advise you to get his eye pressure and optic fundii examined by an eye specialist. This will guide us regarding the requirement of a brain scan if at all required or not. If the eye pressure, eye check up and scans of the brain are normal, the other possibility of a medication induced blurring vision could be possible. I personally feel that a biopsy of either stomach/small intestine may help after due consultation with a gastroenterologist.

Hope this helps
Please get back if you have any other concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having GERD , skin irritation, blurry vision. Drinks and smokes. Found polyps after colonoscopy. Advise? 13 minutes later
I agree he needs to have a good eye exam. We had biopsies taken with the upper and lower GI studies. Gastritis is the only thing that came up. Maybe we can talk about more broad categories of chronic gastritis and if any of them can cause skin irritation? My husband does a lot googling, which in turn makes him more anxious. Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 37 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Please get a detailed eye check up which will suggest if he has any eye/neurological problem.

Yes, I agree that he may be having some sort of chronic gastritis if not resolved please get re-evaluated in a university medical hospital

Googling is better, but not always. Some of my patients are already med before they are inside my room
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor