Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having Factor V. Taking warfarin. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
My daughter has Factor V and no health insurance. We live in Brevard County, Florida. She needs warfarin and a hemotologist. What do we do. She's 43.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. Factor V deficiency is a genetic condition (AD), and Factor VIII (Hemophilia A) is inherited as an X-linked recessive trait, and thus occurs in males and in homozygous females.

This can cause excessive bleeding with menstrual periods or in severe case Bleeding into the skin, gums or after trauma.

2. There is no permanent treatment for it but need to avoid any possibilities of bleeding and fresh blood plasma or fresh frozen plasma infusions can be during a bleeding episode. These treatments will correct the deficiency temporarily.

3. If any acute episode of bleeding she must visit emergency room or else preventing from any bleeding is the best management. Avoid any trauma, strenuous work and and also using hormones to postpone menstrual bleeding.

4. You can discuss with your local health care provider in your area, explain her condition and they may help you in management. Some doctors provide medical services without insurance.

Hope I answered your query. Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having Factor V. Taking warfarin. Could I ask a doctor? 10 hours later
You didn't answer my question at all. We know from where it comes & what happens. She is prone to blood clots which is why she needs a blood thinner. The problem is she has no insurance, has just moved her from Denmark and has no healthcare. We want to know if she would be eligible for Medicaid even though she has an existing IRA.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 16 hours later

Health insurance policy and medicaid policy differs from state to state. Whether or not she is eligible for medicaid differs accordingly. As I have heard, medicaid is not cover for healthcare if you already have IRS as a source to pay for medical bills.

Since I do not have any legal experts to discuss about your concern on this forum, I suggest you to discuss about your concern on medicaid website for udated informations.

Good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor