Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have yeast infection in mouth and penile area. Tested negative for STD. How to get rid of this?

Answered by
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1978

Answered : 6714 Questions

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I am a healthy 28 year old male. 6 months ago, I had a yeast infection from antibiotic usage in both my mouth and penile area. Today, I have small red patches on my penis that have remained all this time. They seem to mostly appear with friction, and a lot of times recede into the color of the skin but always come back in the exact same place when agitated. They respond to cream but don't fully seem to go away.

I have never had sexual intercourse before. I do not drink nor smoke. I have gotten all of my STD testing done just to be safe (I have had oral sex) and I do not have herpes, syphilis, HIV, etc.)

Any advice you could give me on getting rid of these spots would be helpful. Or if there's a chance they're just "there XXXXXXX

They have the appearance of tiny little blood vessels that are busted as you'll see in the high resolution photo I have attached.PS - If I stretch the penis head skin, they disappear. I'm not sure if this information helps.
I have attached a second photo that shows what it looks like when friction is not present.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I have seen the photographs sent by you and feel them to be normal.
Whenever there is increased friction on the skin glans like sex,masturbation,water,heat etc,you may get blood vessels dilated  resulting in more reddish look.
The other reason could be a prolonged use of steroid cream.
In any case,since there is no problem to you,it can be safely ignored
Don't be very harsh on your glans by using excessive soap or rubbing it with cloth ,as it robs it of natural lubricant.
Just a wash with plain water is sufficient.
You may apply some plain antibiotic cream like SOFRAMYCIN for few days which will act as antibiotic plus lubricant.
Avoid using steroid creams.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later

It is good to hear from you. I was relieved when I saw you were the one handling my query. Hope you are doing well.

So even though the red spots appear EXACTLY the same every time they appear, and often remain lightly present even though no friction is applied, they appear normal?

Also, the cream you mentioned does not sound familiar to me. What is the active ingredient to look for just in case I cannot find it here in the United States? Steroid cream is I believe what I have been using all this time as prescribed to me unfortunately.

Thank you as always for your wonderful health advice.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Nice to hear from you.
You may use NEOSPORIN OR POLYSPORIN ointment .
Best of luck to you.
Wish you and your family a very happy new year.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Polysporin

doctor1 MD

I am following up regarding below question: I uploaded pictures of the affected hands. The problem started 2 years ago, subsided in between, flared up again in the last 4 weeks. We took treatment from dermatologist earlier, continued Topisol...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr.Grief, A prickly itchy rash started on my left groin yesterday morning so applied some Melagel about 3 times through the day, but did not improve, so this morning changed to Polysporin antibiotic ointment. After applying 3 times through to-day, it is worse and spread to the right groin. Would you please recommend something that would help.

doctor1 MD

Hello, My daughter was born two monthes ago. She got BCG vaccination . Today, pus is coming out, is it normal?

doctor1 MD

Hello My doctor said I had molluscom after finding a few bumps on my arm, leg and pubic area. He sprayed them with liquid nitrogen. Today is the third day and the spots seem to have blistered with a white pus top. 1. Is this normal? 2. What am I...

doctor1 MD

I have had an ulceration on my ear drum that doesn t heal. I have found blood on my pillow. I have had this since August. Today the Doctor told me to put polysporin in my ear everyday for 6 weeks. Should I worry about this? I am a cancer survivor 10 years of base of tongue cancer on the left side and it is my left ear that is the problem. Should I be concerned?

doctor1 MD

Discovered an ulcerated lump this am on left side. Had Chemo in 2009 for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma; large mass in left lower area of Pelvic cavity involving psoas muscle in left leg, ileac vessels on left side and abdominal Aorta. I only noticed this today otherwise would have had my Oncologist check it two days ago - examination by latter did not observe any particular sensitivity in area. Have washed areaand applied Polysporin ointment. What advice since I m 86yr. old male.

doctor1 MD

Hello, I noticed yesterday that my six year old child s scrotum has turned red and swollen. He feels slight discomfort on touching it. As well he is walking with his legs spread out to avoid it being rubbed again his thighs. He is otherwise well. I applied some polysporin cream on the scrotum. Since last night, the scrotum appears less red and swollen. Could you please let me know what is wrong with him and how to treat the illness?