Have wrist pain and numbness in finger. Blood and thyroid test normal. What should be done?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 29yrs old. I have a wrist(left) pain from continuous paste 6 months. Now from past 3 weeks I have numbness in my little finger. On doctors suggestion I did some test regarding the nerve which said "left ulnar sensory axonal neuropathy". Doctor had given me tryptomer 10 mg for the same. Still my problem is not solved. kindly guide me on the same.I have done my blood and thyroid tests too which came up as normal.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, let me reassure you that your problem is a minor one, and there is no need to worry.

Ulnar nerve is a small nerve that supplies sensation to little finger and half of ring finger. It also supplies to some small muscles in the hand.

It is common for the ulnar nerve to get compressed at the wrist region, because of day-to-day activites. This results in mild ulnar nerve dysfunction. This is what the nerve test has shown in your case.

If tryptomer is not helping you, you can change over to pregabalin or gabapentin. In addition, vitamin B12 supplements are also useful.

Please avoid any direct pressure on the front of wrist region, to avoid any further compression of the ulnar nerve.

Please discuss these issues with your doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thank u for your quick response.

Should I consult a neurologist for this issue?? or the prescribed medicine is sufficient?

Due to this I am having discomfort in driving too. Do I have to live with it or is there any medication to cure this permenantly?

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

As of now, you can continue your prescribed medications. If you do not improve in about two weeks, please visit a neurologist.

Please don't worry, this problem can be permanently cured.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 days later
Dear Doctor,

I had visited the neurologist and he had suggested for the the same nerve test once again and the reports said "left ulnar(motor &sensory)axonal neuropathy with conduction block seen across elbow.to be correlated clinically". Now my doctor suggested me for biopsy.Can I go for it or not?

Kindly suggest ASAP.

Regards XXXXXXX
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Nerve biopsy is done to find out the reason for nerve disease- such as leprosy (an infection of the nerve), vasculitis (decrease in blood flow to the nerve), etc.

So, you can go for the nerve biopsy test.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)