Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have wolff parkinson white syndrome. Gaining weight and developed lump on arm. Should I consult a specialist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
My 77 yr old husband was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson White (the SLOW variety) 30 years ago. He was always very fit and made the Commonwealth Games trials for middle distance running and played top level golf in his young days. Three years ago he had a small heart attack and the surgical ablation was attempted then stopped as he has 5 live lines in his heart.
Recently he has started piling on weight (now 125 kg) and is developing lumps under one arm and on the opposite side calf. Doctors first though Haematoma. then DVT. blood tests and scans have come back negative so he has been sent home in the "too hard basket"
His left leg is very swollen from toes to above the knee and painful.
He also has two titanium knees and has had bakers cysts since surgery on one knee.Sleep hyponea. Last year an operation to remove a blockage in his urethra was partially successful.
Question: should he be seen by a medical specialist who is able to look at the whole picture as well as his GP and a variety of specialists in particular areas (ie cardiologist, urologist, orthopedic surgeon)
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
I suggest you should always give a report to his GP of all that is done by all other specialists, but his GP is the person that knows him best and has a more closer and intimate relationship with him.
I suggest you XXXXXXX his cardiologist, urologist and surgeon as you rightly suggest. A consultation with a dietician is worth having too along the line. If he loses weight, it shall go a long way to relief the sleep apnoea and some pain symptoms.
I pray this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be, feel fee please.
Wishing you the best of health.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor