Have wolf parkinsons white syndrome, pain in shoulder and indigestion. Heart disease?

Dr. Aslam Lalani

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 32 year old female w wolf Parkinson's white syndrome. I was watching tv and my left arm became extremely painful and heavy and numb. I have indegestion from eating a spicy dinner tonight. My back hurts only on the left shoulder blade. Am I having a heart attack?!
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 2 hours later
Welcome to health care magic.
It is my pleasure to answer you.

Wolf parkinsons white syndrome per se will not cause heart attacks.

For heart attack risk factors are like diabetes, hypertension, abnormal cholesterol level, positive family history of heart attack, tobacco use, and many others.

Heart attack pain usually localize in the chest and may radiate to any of the shoulder, arms, elbow, or back or jaw, pain will increase on exercise or on exertion or by stress, and relived or decrease on rest.

The heart attack is very less likely in young menstruating women.

You are young 32 years, female, do not have risk factors, and pain is also not classical of heart attack pain.

So I feel possibility of having heart attack very less.

WPW syndrome per se can cause some arrhythmia and can cause discomfort and numbness in hand, and palpitation.

At present I would like to suggest these:

Stay relaxed, Do not panic,
Take proper rest,
Avoid undue exertion or physical strain,
Take light food, avoid spicy, fried, fatty food, avoid heavy meals, avoid tea , coffee.

Consult your cardiologist and do EKG and if required 2D Echo test and other blood test and follow his advice.

If you have further queries feel free to ask me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E