Have white streak in the back of throat. Experiencing mild drainage and allergies. Worrisome

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a healthy 28 year old male. I have noticed that I have a white streak in the back of my throat. I have been experiencing mild drainage and allergies lately and today I have also strained my throat/voice as I use my voice for a living doing commercials so there is a heavy strain on it today and it hurts from that. I'm wondering if there is anything to worry about from the photo. I am otherwise in perfect health. Tested negative for HIV and anything similar. No chance of that. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 days later

I have seen the picture attached. It seems like there is an obvious strain on your throat. The white streak is not serious. However, the throat, the tonsillar folds and the walls seem inflammed.

You will benefit by doing gargling with Betadine solution that is available over the counter. You can also try simple warm water gargling with salt thrice daily too.

Give voice rest. Except for your commercials, try to limit your voice use.

If you do not get better in a couple of days or the areas of white streak increase in size, you will need to take a course of simple antibiotics. I do not think it is required now.

Stay away from too hot and too cold foods.

Get well soon. Let me know if you have more concerns.