Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Have white powder in the inner part of ear. Is it ear dandruff? How to treat it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Mr. Dermatologist,
Everyday I have white powder texture in the inner part of my ears (around the ears inside). I have tried to wash well my ears but the residue is there all the time. I take it out with my fingers during the day as it aderes as a white crust. It looks like dandruff in the ear but the strange thing is that I don't have it in my head. I have tried to watch my ears with dandruff shampoo but it does not work.
Can you tell me what I have, and what can I do to get rid of it.
If you can tell me an over the counter product or call in my pharmacy to give me a recipe for a product will appreciated it.
PS: My Pharmacy is in NYC XXXXXXX Read tel. 212-0000 My DOB is 01/31/72
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Do you get scaly white lesion over the eyebrows too ?
2) Do you observe redness over the laugh lines (naso-labial fold) too ?
3) Do you have similar lesions behind the ear ?
4) Any skin lesions over the elbows or knees?
If you can reply me with the answers, I would be able to help you further on this.

However, I shall address your concern based on your current given information. With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.
The first possibility seems to be of SEBORHEIC DERMATITIS & the second to be of localized PSORIASIS.

In both these conditions what is required is topical steroid cream like betamethasone or clobetasole, desonide or hydrocortisone. However it would be good if you can consult a dermatologist at your place who can clinically look at the lesion and prescribe you the cream. I am not very sure whether these creams would be over the counter in your country.

But if you can reply me with the above answers it would help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting for your reply.


Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white powder in the inner part of ear. Is it ear dandruff? How to treat it? 20 hours later
Dr. thank u very much for your answer. I think you lead me into the right path. To answer your questions:
No scalp over eyebrows
no Redness around nasal or eyebrows
no behind ear lessions
no lessions in elbows or knees

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 17 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

According to the description, I most probably feel that you are suffering from seborrheic dermatitis rather than psoriasis.

Seborrheic dermatitis is a condition in which due to excessive secretion of sebum (oil) from the glands there leads to inflammation. This in turn causes redness and scaling which may be associated with itching. Apart from the ears, similar lesions can be seen on the scalp too.

Best remedy for this would be topical steroid cream as I had mentioned earlier.
However, these are prescription drugs and can be taken after consulting your treating dermatologist.

I hope I've answered your query. Should you have additional concern regarding the same , I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor