Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX This is XXXXXXX My user name up until yesterday was XXXXXXX. we had been discussing the little white bumps on my upper penile shaft and foreskin that you determined were 100% not HPV but rather hair follicles and Fordyce spots, respectively.

I decided to take your advice in popping the most visible one. It was too small and hard to pop, and the sensitive penile skin made it harder. Ultimately I just irritated and agitated it and it just made it very red and swollen. It reminded me of how a wart on a finger behaves when irritated which scared me. I know I am probably being paranoid because you said you were 100% certain but here I am sick to my stomach on vacation worrying. They still have the tiny clear hair like a follicle and did not bleed, which is good. But I would feel much better reading your reassuring words after viewing the pictures of how it currently looks after me irritating it.

I have attached the new photos with today's date and some older ones from the other day for reference. Again my sexual history is limited only to oral, never have had intercourse. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

If popping up is proving so painful and troublesome it is better to avoid. As such the bumps are asymptomatic and painless it is unreasonable to irritate them.

I have gone through the photo. It appears that bumps have become inflamed, but no way are they related to warts.

I want to reassure you that these are not warts.

Wait for the bump to settle down which will be normalised in day or two.

As usual its pleasure interacting with you and hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other concerns


MD Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured? 11 hours later
Thank you again doctor. I wanted to ask you...what makes you so certain they are not warts? Is this because of their appearance or because of my lack of sexual history? I know that it all factors in, but let's say I was very sexually active in theory...would the diagnosis be the same? I just wish to be educated. Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 21 minutes later

All the things matter like sexual history, appearance, progress of the lesions.

Most reliable and deciding factor is appearance or physical findings.

Even if you were sexually active, I would still say that these are not warts at all.

I would like to say you are very analytical and curious person. Play safe and take care. It is better to be careful than to regret.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you good health.

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured? 16 hours later
Hi Doctor - you are very correct that I am analytical and curious. I am very careful about my health and seeing unexplained spots like these sure does worry me given I work so hard to ensure my health in that area. I hope you do not mind my paranoia but as you can imagine, it is frightening to see these things pop up. That being said...I seem to be getting one on the actual penis head. Same questions as before...anything to worry about, etc. It is becoming a little unsightly and noticeable, these spots. Is there anything I can do to remove them if we are certain they are harmless? Thank you as always. New photo attached. one more reason why I am probably over the edge paranoid about this is because another doctor on this site told me that he initially DID think it was HPV by the photos. It wasn't until I informed him of my lack of sexual history that he changed his diagnosis. That was when I decided to get a 2nd opinion and thankfully met you on here. So that is why I'm so curious if they even remotely resemble HPV to know if I should see a local dermatologist in person, though my urologist did not seem alarmed by them either.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 12 hours later

Ive gone through new photos.

The new bumps also do not appear like warts.

But it is appearing like allergic papules.

My advise to you would be to observe the bumps for a week or so.
If they increase in size or additional new bumps arise you must visit dermatologist .

A visit to dermatologist will be helpful to know the cause of the bumps.
Also it will allow a close up examination and subsequent treatment of the bumps.

As of now there is nothing to worry and you should keep close observation
of the bumps,which you are doing.
Hope this helps.

dr Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured? 5 hours later
It is interesting you say that about allergic reactions. I am currently being treated for prostatitis. I have been on and off of antibiotics for several months trying to get it to go away. I recently had a bad allergic reaction to Bactrim. It caused my mouth to feel as if it was on fire and caused ulcers in my mouth etc. I have also suffered thrush and penile yeast as a result of Bactrim. Could there be any connection?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

When I mentioned allergic reaction I did not mean drug allergy.

Allergy to soaps/cosmetics/moisturizers/washes etc.

Drug allergy manifests by ulcers /pigmentation/ erythematous rashes etc.

Allergy to bactrim would not manifest like this .

However you just have to be watchful. If they increase in size or additional new bumps arise you must visit dermatologist.

Otherwise there is nothing to be worried about.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured? 5 hours later
This keeps getting more interesting. I woke up this morning with red spots on my penis head. I have seen these before when I had a yeast infection from antibiotics but never this visible. Does this line up with your allergic reaction theory? I have attached a photo. Also in this photo you can get a good look at the largest foreskin bump we've been talking about. Is there a cream I should put on everything?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later
Hi again,

Had a good look at the new photo.

I think it is same allergic problem.

You can apply Hydrozole cream .It has a mild steroid and and antifungal.

Its effective and safe .Apply it twice daily for 5 days.
This should clear the lesions.

hope this helps.
Will be waiting for your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have white bumps on upper penile shaft and foreskin. How to get cured? 2 hours later
Thank you, I will apply the Hydrozole cream. I'm not sure we have it here in the States but I will find something similar.

Last question before I close this out. The hair follicle on my shaft that we discussed I tried to pop and became irritated has healed. But it has healed larger than it was originally. They are a little more flesh colored than white and certainly the one that I picked at is larger than the one I did not. I'm just wondering if we are still on the right track to believing these are 100% not warts.

Thank you as always and thank you for your patience and great information. I have felt lately if it is not one thing, it is another, and you have been a great help in alleviating my stress. A pleasure speaking as always.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Hydrozole is available is states.Use it only for 5-7 days.

Ive gone through 4 new images.
Im still sure that these are not warts.Do not pop them as they are causing pain and discomfort on popping them.

Hope Ive made myself clear.

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it ,at the end.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor