Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have vp shunt. Got hit on top of shunt on head. Getting headache. Is this serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
I have vp shunt, and a few days ago my aunt accidently hit me RIGHT at the resevoir at the top of the shunt on my head.. and i have had a constant annoying head ache since.. I was experiencing ear aches with them. now I have ringing.. do you think that something could have happened?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Do not worry much

I understand your concern

I do not feel that you need any urgent medical attention

Let me know if you have any other problem
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have vp shunt. Got hit on top of shunt on head. Getting headache. Is this serious? 33 minutes later
How can you be so sure? You were so bland on your answer. How can I believe that I am not in danger. I am not bashing your credibility, but I don't see how you could answer such a structured question so calmly. Maybe I should have elaborated a little. My form of pseudo tumor was very rare. I had no Papilledema upon being diagnosed. I was only 15 years old, and I went completely blind before being diagnosed. The fluid put so much pressure on my eyes that I went blind and I had permanent damage from it. How will I know if I am in fact in danger of having complications? What signs should I look for.. Do you have much knowledge on PTC?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 28 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

I understand your problem

Please note that your first question was related to the trauma related to the accidental hit on the head. The associated symptoms posted by you were not suggestive of any shunt malfunction. Hence I told you not to worry in the absence of loss of consciousness/seizure/headache/vomiting. I am a qualified neurologist and I do see patients OF YOUR TYPE. If you have any concern you get examined by a local neurologist.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor