Have viral fever. Test shows no bacterial infection in blood. Underlying cause?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Preliminary Report ‎: ‎Culture Negative for Bacterial Growth after ‎48 ‎Hrs‎. ‎of ‎
incubation
lab says final report after 3 days
i had viral fever...now iam looking ok‎
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
The report of blood culture as of now suggests that there is no bacterial infection in your blood . In case of viral infections the final report may too come out negative ie no bacteria will grow in the blood culture.
Usually a 72 hour incubation of the patients blood in culture media is required to give a confirmed diagnosis hence the Lab has asked you to wait for the final report but most probably it seems that it will come negative . This confirms that you had a viral fever and not a severe bacterial sepsis .
Hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any further doubts .