Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have ventricular septal defect. Experiencing pain in chest and abdomen with fast resting heart rate

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 262 Questions
Hello, I am 25 years old with a ventricular septal defect
And I have a resting heart rate at 110 per minute. The chest pain has been going on for over a week with lasting abdominal pain as well, what could be the problem?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 6 hours later

Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

I would like to know a few more details regarding your health condition to help you better:
1. when was your ventricular septal defect (VSD) diagnosed? how big was the defect(size of hole)?
2. After diagnosis, how were you treated?( using medications or surgery?)
3. At present what medications you are taking?
4. Was any investigations like ECHO, ECG etc done recently?

VSD can cause excess pressure in the blood vessels to the lungs leading to pulmonary hypertension. Also in patients of VSD there is increased blood flow to the heart which leads to heart failure(condition in which the heart can't pump effectively). VSD can also lead to abnormal heart rate.

You are having a resting heart rate of 110/min which is abnormal. Also the symptoms you have mentioned (chest & abdominal pain) probably suggests that your heart is not pumping adequately.

I, would strongly suggest you to immediately XXXXXXX a cardiologist and rule out the possibility of heart failure. He will thoroughly examine you & if needed will take an echo/ecg & treat you accordingly.

Hope the information was useful. I will be happy to answer any further queries in this regard.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have ventricular septal defect. Experiencing pain in chest and abdomen with fast resting heart rate 10 hours later
I was born with this condition and I'm not sure where the hole is exactly. But I think it is the right valve? I can't be certain, the hole is very small.
I've never had any issues with it until my pregnancy, and then things went back to normal. My heart has been racing quite a bit causing dizzy spells for me. The pain is in my chest and back and abdominal area. Overall I just feel tired and in pain.
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 17 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for giving me more information. Its high time to XXXXXXX a cardiologist and get examined to know the current status of your VSD. Increase heart rate, chest pain, back and abdominal pain is not reassuring me. It probably suggest that your heart is not pumping well. Heart diseases are known to either improve or worsen with time. Your doctor may even order an ECG, ECHO to know the current status. Also sometimes anemia can increase the workload of heart resulting in fast heart rate and dizziness. Your doctor might even order blood tests.

Till then I advice you not to exert much, take rest as much as possible.

Don't worry you will be better. Your problem needs evaluation and treatment by a good cardiologist.

Take care.

If you have any further queries I am happy to help or else kindly close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have ventricular septal defect. Experiencing pain in chest and abdomen with fast resting heart rate 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your help, I have made an appointment with my cardiologist for later today.

Once again thank you so much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 31 minutes later
Hi dear,

I am happy that my information was of use to you. You will be fine.

Feel free to contact me if you have any queries. You can ask queries directly to me at WWW.WWWW.WW
Please close this query and rate this query.

Take care

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor