Have vasculitis. Allergic to prednisone. Is there any alternate treatment?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi my skin biospy came back with vasilitis is no rash just itching and burning the nurse didn't know all the details so I have to wait till next week for doctor appt. the problem is that I am allergic to prednisone are there another treatments for this disorder to help me?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern.

The treatment for vasculitis is colchicine , dapsone, corticosteroids and immunosuppressive agents like methotrexate, cyclophosphamide or azathioprine.

Hence if you are allergic to prednisone, your dermatologist can start treatment with the other medications.

These medications have to be taken under your doctor's supervision and they have to be monitored.

These medications will help in the treatment of vasculitis.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.