Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have varicocoele. Semen analysis and ultra sound doppler done. Is it curable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
I have a varicocoele and got my semen analysis and ultra sound doppler done. pls go thrugh the attached reports and advise if i will be able to father a child. what are the remdies available?
is it curable?
I m concerend as my family is looking for a suitable match for me now. what should i do now?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 41 hours later
Thanks for query to XXXXXXX
Clinical Varicocele (the ones felt on testing with gloved fingers by the doctor) needs to be treated.
Regarding the semen analysis, Other than reduced count, other parameters are normal.
Normally for unmarried men, semen analysis is not recommended. If at all done, it leads to such predictions and it causes more to problems than solutions.
May I know why it was suggested? Was it because Varicocele was found on examination?
Also interpreting a single analysis report is not advisable, if at all, needs comparison with multiple reports.
This is only a general advice, physical examination findings and the clinical situation will decide on further action.
Hope this answers your query, kindly get back for further doubts if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have varicocoele. Semen analysis and ultra sound doppler done. Is it curable? 2 hours later
The varicocoele was examined by the doctor and he only had suggested semen analysis and ultra Sound.
the doctor was of the view that it should be ignored. I need a second opinion

1)whether I should bother about getting the clinical varicocoele treated??what are my options if i donot want to go for corrective surgery?

2)also are medicines available for increasing sperm count? will it impact chances of me being father? Should I bother about oligospermia with low motility before marriage? Also does the varicocoele cause progressive decline in sperm count?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 45 minutes later

Welcome back.
On examination - if the testis on the side of varicocele is smaller than usual size for age - along with oligospermia - it is better to get operative correction.
Otherwise, you can followup with repeat semen analysis every 6 months and if the count is deteriorating/ it is better to undergo surgery.
There are supportive medications like carnitine, which can be taken if surgery is not planned soon, but there is no guarantee.
The chances of becoming father is less, if the sperm count is low, but it is possible.
Yes, varicocele can cause progressive decline in count / motility and hence you need at least 6 monthly semen analysis.
I belong to the school of thought that semen analysis should not be done before marriage - as i already wrote - since it leads to more problems than solutions.
Hope i answered.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have varicocoele. Semen analysis and ultra sound doppler done. Is it curable? 6 minutes later

Request your specific advise in my case.

Would you recomend me to go for surgery at this point? Given the testis size is normal as per the attached reports?

Also would you recomend I start taking medicines now which can prevent damage as I dont want to go for surgery right now
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later

I have given you specifiic answers already.
Ok, I will try to be clearer---

1. I do not go by Testis size on USG. I rely on physical examination for the testis size.
2. You can start medicines now - if you do not want surgery at present.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor