Have uterine fibroid. Lab test showed menopause values. Taking femolin. Can I get pregnant?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi, I am 31 year old. I got married in 2007, but till now i did not conceive. doctor suggested me to go through investigation in 2008. at that time, they did pelvic ultrasound and it revealed a uterine fibroid. I had irregular menses at the beginning of my marriage, but in 2011, my menses stopped and when I consulted an endocrinologist, the lab values were showed menopause values and he said that it is highly impossible to get natural pregnancy and suggested to use Femolin. I am not sexually active and I get pain with intercourse. From past 4 months, I am using femolin tablets for get menses.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing to us.
The condition that you are describing is known as premature ovarian failure ( POF )
It is defined when loss of the normal function of ovaries before the age of 40, while the average age of natural menopause is 51.
Infertility is one logical result of POF, but other risks such as osteporosis and heart disease are also increased.
In most of the cases, no reason can be found. Other causes are hereditary, antibodies against the ovary, radiation, certain drugs, some chromosomal disorders, surgery etc.
Between 5 and 10 percent of women with POF may spontaneously become pregnant. Currently no fertility treatment has officially been found to effectively increase fertility in women with POF, and the use of donor eggs with In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and adoption have become more popular as a means of becoming parents for women with POF. Published results from some studies have shown the role of DHEA , a mild male hormone , to increase spontaneously conceived pregnancies, decrease spontaneous miscarriage rates and improve IVF success rates in women with POF.
Also, with donor eggs, the embryo would be transferred into your womb ( uterine cavity ). The fibroid you mentioned could reduce chances of conception even after transfer, if it distorts the uterine cavity.
The pills you are taking are hormone replacement pills, which will help you have normal periods. However, do continue to be sexually active, as it increases your chances of a natural pregnancy, and keeps you in mental and physical well being. You might require lubricant gels to reduce the painful intercourse, as vaginal dryness occurs in this condition due to lack of hormones.
You could attach your previous reports of ultrasound and lab tests to help me understand the severity better.
IVF with donor eggs is definitely an option that can help you enhance your fertility. Please consult with an expert Infertility Specialist for the same
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.