Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have urine infection. Done blood test. Suggest medication

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Dear Sir:
I having a urine infection and continuing.
Blood Report:
Erythrocytes -4.32
Haemoglobin (Hb) -12.8
PCV (Packed Cell Volume) -37.5
RDW (Red Cell Distribution Width) - 15.
RBC Morphology -Normal
Platelets: PCT (Platelet Haematocrit) -0.17
Transparency : Hazy
Reaction (pH) : 6.00
Specific Gravity: 1.01
Pus Cells (WBCs): 20-25
Epithelial Cells: 1-2
Request you to suggest medecine.
Awaiting your Reply.
Thanks and Best Regards
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hello Mr. B. M. XXXXXXX ji,
Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your blood reports and following impression has been made:
1) Blood sugar (both fasting & postprandial) are normal
2) Complete blood count: packed cell volume and hemoglobin are low, indicating less amount of blood. Although blood appears to be normochromic and normocytic type.
3) urine examination is suggestive of pus cells/ HPF). While RBC in urine are absent, indicating absence of glomerulonephritis (presence of pus cells and RBC in urine shows possibility of renal pathology)
4) Still you should go for renal function test (blood urea and serum creatinine).
5) If this investigations is normal then there is only possibility of urinary tract infection and you should go for urine culture & sensitivity examination. This test generally takes 8-10 days for reporting as bacteria takes time to grow and then sensitivity test is applied.
6) On empirical basis, Balofloxacin and nitrofurantoin are urinary specific and you should take after consultation with physician/ surgeon on written prescription.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor