Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have urge for frequent urination at night, burning sensation while urinating, cloudy urine. Remedy?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9620 Questions
Husband urge to urinate frequently at night, but then has difficulty going with stingy, burning sensation. Once urinates, stinging sensation goes away until the next episode. Usually doesn't empty bladder fully. Sometimes urgency to go and can't urinate. Maybe a dribble. Urine has bad ordor as well. Cloudy instead of clear urine. During the day almost normal. Takes furosemide (40 mg) for swelling of feet and potassium pill at same time. Has been taking this for years and only takes when feet are swollen (approx. 3 times per week). Husband is 71 years old and never had prostrate problem. However has erectile disfunction for past 7 years. Does this sound like a urinary infection and if so, can he do home remedy of some sort to avoid antibiotics?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband who is 71 years old has difficulty is passing urine,nocturnal frequency,urgency, hesitancy incomplete emptying of bladder etc

Considering his age and symptoms that he has he is likely to have Benign Enlargement of Prostate.associated with secondary UTI.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following investigations done under his guidance to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine Routine and Urine culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen with post void urine residue.
3) Transrectal ultrasound scanning (TRUS)
4) Serum PSA.

His problem of erectile dysfunction seems to be age related .

Further treatment will be decided by him/her depending upon results of these test and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor