Have unprotected vaginal sex. Got mild fever, night sweats and feeling fatigued. Am I at risk?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor, I had an unprotected vaginal sex with a call girl (contraceptive failure) and after three days I got a mild fever lasted for one week, fatigue and two night sweats. I am very worried now. I am down and feeling extremely tired unable to concentrate on my work, do you think I am infected?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
STD’s usually present with many symptoms chief ones being lump,any discharge, burning sensation in urethra, redness, irritation, ulcer or sore, pain or blood during ejaculation, pain in the genitalia or early flu like symptoms.
The symptoms you had are likely to be due to a mild generalized viral infection. Since the fever has subsided, there is nothing to worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor.
I read that acute HIV symptoms are flu like fever, fatigue and night sweats, unfortunately I got all these just after three days. I did not have any pain or rash at that time. I consulted a docotr and they sent me for the PCR test whose result is going to come in few days, the waiting period is so agonizing. The Physician opened my mouth and told me that I have no symptoms so far. They have started medication for me in case I am infected. I feel that the lack of any other symptoms now is due to the medication.

do you think I could be infected by HIV since I had a fever and fatigue just after three days? does the HIV virus start affecting so soon usually?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
HIV infection usually does not present with symptoms like you had so early. Waiting for the results is the only way to confirm. Antiviral medicines may produce such symptoms as a side effect too.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.