Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have undescended testis in abdomen, unable to produce sperm. Do I need surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
i have undecend testis in abdomen i am not able to produce my sperm
my doctor told me to take surgery to bring undecende testis to scrotal

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 54 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
Undescended testis does indeed require surgery. With the help of surgery, the testis can be placed in the scrotum,which is the natural position. If they remain in the abdomen during development,its an anomaly. Unless the natural position is assumed,one cannot tell for sure whether sperm production can happen or not. Ideally, the surgery should have been done in infancy for best results. Its been noted the fertility results are much better the earlier the surgery is done. In most cases,doctors recommended that the correction be done with 2 yrs age. I see that you are 27, so obviously,the statistics will show that results are debatable.
Although surgery is still the recommendation, the sperm production is important now due to fertility issues. After surgery sperm analysis is a must and that will finally be able to indicate towards your fertility. Along with reduced fertility,undescended testis also has a higher prevalance to germ cell tumours and psychological problems, torsion, hernias. Even after surgery if adequate blood supply is not estabilished there may be complications. You need to consult with a urosurgeon about the best possible scenario.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor