Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have under active thyroid and want to know alternate way other than Blood test to check it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10238 Questions
hi have an under active thyroid and want to know if there is any other way other than blood tests you can check it
i have been feeling very flat lately more so than usual,my problem is i dislike going to see doctors because i cannot seem to find one that i like and feel comfortable with, i have not been for a check up for two years. what happens if i dont sort things out with my thyroid
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unfortunately blood tests are the best option

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Thyroid function is mainly assessed by blood tests and imaging.

At present the blood tests would be the most useful option. They would assess the thyroid hormone level and the TSH level.

The imaging tests include ultrasound of the thyroid and radioactive iodine uptake.

The ultrasound is not thought to be particularly useful in hypothyroidism however unless it is thought that there is a specific lesion in the thyroid causing an effect.

Radioactive iodine also may not be useful in this setting because it requires the thyroid to be producing enough hormone itself for useful information to be obtained.

If you are not comfortable with your current doctor, you may want to find a new clinician who can asses and treat you.It must be very difficult to deal with symptoms of low thyroid.
There are websites that can identify doctors in your particular location such as WWW.WWWW.WW au, WWW.WWWW.WW au.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor