Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Have uncontrolled diabetes. On glimisave and onglyza 5. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
Hi I have uncontrolled diabetes for 2 years, currently i am havinf Glimisave 4 twice a day & onglysa 5 once as day
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 45 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Glimisave 4mg (glimepiride) and Onglyza 5mg(saxagliptin) are used in the treatment of Diabetes. However , you must realize that diabetes cannot be brought under control by just taking oral hypoglycemic drugs.

You need to eat healthy.
Have plenty of XXXXXXX leafy and other vegetables.
Have one fruit a day.
Avoid fatty, XXXXXXX fried ,oily food .
Sprout(moong) etc. and pulses are good food for diabetics.
Two chappathis or 1 cup of cooked rice for lunch/dinner.
Drink plenty of water as well ,at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Eat frequent but small meals.
Avoid smoking and alcohol.
Avoid sweets and sugar in your diet. Have your tea and coffee without sugar.
You can have Oats as a porridge once a day mixed with a little skimmed milk.
You can have D-Protin if you like ,It is a chocolate flavoured protein drink . Just mix 2 level tablespoons of D-protin in a glass of warm water or skimmed milk and have it once or twice a day.
Dissolve fenugreek(methi) seeds, 1 teaspoon in a glass of clean drinking water and soak it overnight. Drink the methi soaked water first thing in the morning and eat the soaked methi seeds.

Exercise is very important in reducing blood sugars. Regular exercise for 30-45 minutes per day, 5 days a week is very imporatant. Also, you should sign up for yoga classes if possible.

Hope I have answered your query. In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor