Have ulcerative colitis, dizziness and vomiting. PAP smear was normal. What are the underlying causes?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter is having severe night sweating, accompanied by dizziness during the day, then vomiting everything she has eaten. She is currently not taking birth control pills. She is 34 years old. She has ulcerative colitis. She is seeing her gynecologist tomorrow. Is there anything you can think of that would cause these symptoms, happening about every 2 weeks. She has been to the ER and had two pregnancy tests, both negative. She has no children. She had a head CT at the ER and it showed nothing. She is going to ask for an ultrasound of her ovaries. Her last PAP smear was normal. Anything else we can ask or a specialist that she should see?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed evaluation required Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query There are several reasons for night sweats, and night sweats associated with dizziness could be because of either because of thyroid disorder or due to hyperactive adrenals. I strongly advice you to approach a good physician (MD Internal medicine) to completely evaluate her for 1. Thyroid disorder 2. Adrenal disorder 3.Infections 4. Blood sugars 5. Lymphomas These are the tests I would like her to undergo 1. Thyroid function test 2.Random blood sugar 3. Cortisol level 4. Peripheral smear 5. To look for lymph nodes and biopsy if found The vomiting is secondary to dizziness. You could give her tab betahistadine for symptomatic relief for the dizziness, please approach a physician for a prescription I hope I was of help to you, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards