Have type 2 diabetes, slightly enlarged prostrate and frequent urination. What should I do?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: I have a slightly enlarged prostrate, frequent urination, PSA test always 1.4, wake up at night 8-10 times to urinate and had diabetes II for 12 years but well controlled. Average glucose between (5.8 - 6.4) every three month result. Now my urine is escaping and get wet during the day as I cannot hold it until I find a toilet. I drink plenty of water too, about 3 litres a day. What should I do to control the urine and avoid getting wet.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 6 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

You might be having urge incontinence.

I would suggest you to visit your urologist ,as there are medicines or surgery(TURP)-(transurethral resection of prostate) available for enlarged prostate , if symptoms are due to BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia).

Another possibility is Urine routine and culture & sensitivity test might be done to rule out urinary tract infection.

Another thing you can do is drink water at regular intervals in a day. Do not drink 2- 3 glasses of water at one go.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan