Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have type 2 diabetes and hypertension. Test showed high ALT and AST level. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
I am 75 pounds overweight with a BMI over 38. I also have type 2 diabetes with loads of insulin daily, and hypertension.

I have applied for bariatric surgery.

Over 17 years ago, I drank heavily. I also had, unbeknownst at that time, hepatitis c. The hepatitis c has been, as much as can be determined, cured. It has been negative for nearly 10 years with threatment of interferon and ribavirin.

I no longer drink expect occassionally.

My ALT is 139. My AST is 44. Both numbers are technically high. Do you believe these numbers will rule me out of candidacy for bariatric surgery?
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 18 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Raised liver enzymes are suggestive of mild alteration in the liver function. If it is associated with fatty liver then it merits treatment until the enzymes come down to normal. An ultrasound is also required to look for cirrhotic changes in view of past infection with hepatitis C. Once these issues are resolved them you can undergo bariatric surgery.
However it is always essential especially before undergoing metabolic surgery to have a normal liver because baraitric surgery causes a significant alteration in the metabolism of fats ,carbohydrates and proteins in the liver and thereby in the body.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor