Owl Image

Have type 2 diabetes. Taking istamet. Feeling nauseous and giddy. Should I stop taking medicine?

Question
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. With in two months of diagnosis I have gone on strict diet and exercise regime as a result of which I have reached from 91 kgs to 78 kgs. I am taking istamet 50/1000 once a day and my sugar levels fasting have been from 80 to 110 and pp have been ranging from 80 to 130. At times I feel nausetic and giddy. Are these hypoglycaemia symptoms and do I need to taper the medicine.
Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 40 minutes later

I have gone through the details you given.The blood sugar levels you have mentioned are within the normal range. The symptoms you mentioned could be of hypoglycaemia. That can only be confirmed if you do a blood glucose reading when you have the symptoms. Do you have other symptoms of hypoglycaemia (such as racing heart, trembling, sweating, weakness, confusion etc.) at the time of giddiness? Once it is confirmed that you are having these episodes due to a low blood sugar, please consult your treating physician to taper the medication. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON YOUR OWN.

Hope I have answered your query.