Owl Image

Have type 2 diabetes. Started vomiting severely. What could be causing this?

Question
i have vomited several times today. i tried to stay in bed but i had to keep pail next to my bed. i vomited a few times while i was attemtping to sleep. the only food i have eaten today was a small banana. i have type 2 diabetes. i take 35 mg insulin once a day.
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
To treat the vomiting first of all we need to know the cause. Most of the times, vomiting is caused by gastroenteritis, stomach flu, food poisoning, peptic ulcer disease, GERD, etc. Foods that are hard to digest (such as too many sweets) and undercooked (still partially raw) meat or fish can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Other causes that need to be ruled out include central causes, medicines, etc.
You can take some general measures like-
1. You can start by taking soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts: Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Have clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water to help prevent dehydration. You should avoid having plain water and dark sodas.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment is needed after proper examination.
You may need other medicines like antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors, etc after proper examination from your physician.
Do not self- medicate as it can be XXXXXXX
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.