Owl Image

Have type 2 diabetes. Itching, pain, swelling and burning all over labia. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I have intense itching pain and burning all over my labia. They are swollen and painful. This has been going on for months. I also have diabetes 2. I am 65 and not sexually active. Are there treatments or relief? I feel I am going to scratch sensitive Reas and mKe it worse. Today I. Ould not even sit the area is so painful
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

The symptoms you described indicates infection of genital tract. It is most common in diabetic women. Usually, the infection is mainly caused by fungus. But, it should be confirmed by clinical examination.

If there is any curd like secretion or white discharge, then it is due the infection also.

Right now, you have to do the followings.
1.     Take cetirizine group of drug to reduce itching.
2.     Keep the area clean.
3.     During intercourse, use condom temporarily.
4.     Consult with a gynecologist first for a thorough clinical examination.
5.     If clinically, a fungal infection is suspected, then fluconazole group of drug should be considered. Clotrimazole group of drug should also be considered for local application.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have type 2 diabetes. Itching, pain, swelling and burning all over labia. Treatment? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply. Is there an over the counter that can help relieve discomfort this weekend until I can see my dr? Can my gp deal with this or must I see a gyn?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Cetrizine is an over the counter drug. For the other drugs, you have to visit your GP.

Regards.