Have tpha positive with vdrl dilution reactive 1:16. Diagnosed with syphlis. Is it curable?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have tpha positive with vdrl dilution reactive 1:16 diagnosed today and confirmed by dermatologist and verenoligst said its syphlis just today it isdetected and imm. I took penicillin injection 24,00,000 unit deeply intra muscular brand name pencom inj 12 LA in both my buttocks can this be cured and tpha turn negative anyway please help I am ready to do anything else it will hamper my family and personal life I am very scared very much I am a married person with two kids I had sex in past with multiple partners all of Opp. Sex and mostly protected I don't how did I get this very old disease and I am ferry frightened just get me out of dis as I will have mental depression
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Syphilis is curable. No need to be depressed
[The TPI)and FTA-ABS are very specific for the disease]
TPHA may not become negative, even though the disease is cured.
It may take a long time for the VDRL results to change – repeat again after about 3 months.
You must have regular follow up.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Now it's spreaded very fast in my penis region all over I am seeing sores all ocer and it's itching badly earlier the condition was not that now after penicillin injection do I have some thing for symptomatic relief like no itching and to stop it from further spreading any ointment or any medicine for that it's looking extremely ugly for the first time and I am getting over anxious and. Stressed due to all this pls help me imm. And my question was from dis disease speacialist
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 50 minutes later
Hi

You should see your venerelolgist / dermatologist again - The possibility of drug reaction to penicillin or super added infection needs to be assessed and followed up. A smear from the lesion may be necessary.
In the mean time - anti histamine like cetrizine local anaesthetic like low dose lidocaine may give partial relief. Your doctor will give appropriate prescription.

All the best

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 28 hours later
Now my last and most important follow up question as per your advice I visited today venerologist/dermatogist he has advised me 3 doses of penicillin injection to be admisterd every week consecutively and as per his observation it look like a latent syphilis as there is no symptoms in my body of any kind except some infection in penis which look like more a fungal infection to him then this, secondly he has advised me hepatitis B and C tests also dont know why? and to repeat VDRL after three months as of know he doesnt see any sign of worry and also told me to go for similar investigation to my wife also and follow up if reqd. No other precaution except any physical contact with your own partner with condom only and safe sex advised in future, for my kids he has not advised anything and said just relax now please read this and advise me further so that I can end my all anxieties and tension related to this please answer all my queries and dr. Advise
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 40 minutes later
Hi

A full course of the penicillin - as advised - must be completed to eradicate the bacteria completely from he system.
It is a long acting preparation and hence the long dosing interval

Only direct clinical examination can diagnose primary lesion or the fungal infection.
Fungal infection is easy to diagnose and cure.

Hepatitis B & C are also sexually transmitted and that is why one has to test.
HIV (AIDS) is also similar and your doctor must have tested already.

The bacteria are almost always sensitive and will be eradicated by - the penicillin.
A falling titre shows effectiveness of the treatment. If not (which is rare), you may need a course of different antibiotic The titre reflects body’s reaction and so can remain positive very long – even after the infection has gone. Nothing to worry at this.

All the sexual partners must be tested and treated - to prevent re-infection.

Condom is a must – because the disease is spread by blood or sexual act only.

Undiagnosed infection in a partner (less symptom and difficult to diagnose in the female) can re-infect. That is why the condom and testing of partner is a must.

That is why there is nothing to do for the kids.

All the best