Have torn lower back muscle. Can hardly move. What to do?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a very seriously torn lower back muscle. It's been 8 days but seems to be getting better. This morning I could hardly move. My back was as stiff as a board. Much better later in the day. Any reason that by back should be in such terrible condition first thing in the morning? I'm hoping it's something to be expected. The original problem was caused by a freak sudden movement of the body.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I would suggest the following: Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It appears you may have strained the muscles of your lower back. Stiffness of lower back is a result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. This is the reason that you could hardly move in morning. I would suggest the following: - paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief - hot baths or cold packs applied to the area. One or both may help. - alter your sleeping position if you are having trouble sleeping - keep moving with gentle exercise such as swimming, walking or cycling which are low impact - gentle stretching exercises for the muscles of your lower back - You can take a muscle relaxant which can relieve muscle spasms. Your doctor would need to prescribe this. If these measures do not improve your pain over the next week, I would suggest seeing a physiotherapist who will be able to manipulate. mobilise and massage the area. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards