Have tingling sensation in arm and tightness in chest. ECG normal. Any suggestion?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have tingling in left arm and tightness in chest. Just had an ECG all ok
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

A NORMAL RESTING ECG is reassuring.
The description is not detailed enough to suggest a direct diagnosis. Tightness due to heart is in central chest (and left), worse on effort, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on.
     If a routine ECG does not show, Treadmill exercise ECG (TMT) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow) to plan for further management
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
     Laboratory work-up is routine - like cardiac markers, blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes at that time / lipids and so on at later time. Your Internist shall suggest based on the situation.

Left arm tingling could be from nerve root irritation from cervical spondylosis. MRI of the spine may be necessary.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck