Have thyroid problem. Taking metaprolol for hbp and heart rate. Noticed increase in heart rate. Worrisome

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello. I have been prescribed metaprolol for high blood pressure and heart rate. I also have thyroid problems and in addition am tapering myself from Klonapin. As long as I stay within the confines of my taper my HR and BP have always stayed low normal. Made some mistakes over the holidays and went back into withdrawal.. and my BPs plus HR skyrocketed. I am concerned that the beta blocker may drop my heart rate too low, still remains to be seen. What options might I have if the metaprolol drops my HR too low. Thank you May
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Management of Hypertension is now well advanced.
There are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class.

You can change to a drug from another class or a different drug in the same class.
Among beta-blockers alone, there are several / some selective – example nebivolol.

Beta-blockers must be tapered / not stopped abruptly – that could result in rebound.
Similarly, sudden reduction of clonazepam (Klonapin) could lead to withdrawal phenomenon.

One can go back again and taper.
Gradual tapering under medical supervision is advised and easy.

Nothing to worry.
You just need patience and perseverance.
Be in constant touch with your doctor – all will be well.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck