Have thyroid lump. Started decreasing weight with fever. Took thyronorm. Do I need surgery?

Dr. V. Kumaravel

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am 21 yr old. i ve a thyroid lump on the rt lobe frm past 2 month. i need a suggestion frm d specialist. Day by day my weight is decreasing (lost upto 8 kg for 2 months) and i have fever frm past 2months. i took many medicines like Thyronorm for one month but no use at all. The doctor who suggested thyronorm and calcium supplements asked me follow up if there is no improvement. My Thyroid profile is apparently normal by the doctor with TSH around 2.5. My family doctor said that I need surgery. I am confused and worried.
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 25 hours later
Hello

i do understand that you are a 21 year old female and having been evaluated for thyroid lump and being treated with thyronorm. your thyroid blood tests are supposed to be normal. your concern seems to be related to weight loss, fever and thyroid lump.

Surgery may not required for all thyroid lump and i would like to know the size of your thyroid swelling, your ultrasound report and needle biopsy (FNAC) of your thyroid lump. This will help us to decide whether surgery may be needed or not. this will also guide whether your fever and weight loss is related to your thyroid lump or not.

regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan