Owl Image

Have throat infection. How to get cured?

Owl Image
Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain

Dentist, Prosthodontics

Question
Hi Doctor,
I have throat infection.. I consulted many doctors but it is not cured yet. Could you pls provide a way to overcome it?
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 2 hours later

Thanks for your query. It would be better if you can describe the problem with symptoms than just saying 'throat infection'. The presentation is more important for the medical community than the diagnosis.

Sometimes presence of bacteria in gums and teeth may lead to throat infections. But your problem may / may not be related to dental issues.

As you have already visited many doctors so as a dentist i would advice you the following:
-get a thorough clean up(deep scaling) done to remove dirt/infection from gums
-get cavities filled if present eliminating infection from the teeth as well
-use a tongue cleaner to keep your tongue clean
-warm saline gargles along with use of a mouthwash twice daily

I would also suggest you to visit an ENT specialist and get relevant tests done such as throat swab culture etc to diagnose the problem. You may have to take antibiotics if recommended by the ENT specialist to eliminate the infection.
For now I would recommend you to just remove all sources of infection form your body, specially teeth and gums.

If you have any more queries, i would be happy to help.

Follow-up: Have throat infection. How to get cured? 59 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.
Could you please suggest me the mouth wash that I need to use to overcome bad breath?
and also the paste to remove the dryness from the mouth.

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Any mouthwash with chlorhexidine will help reduce/remove bad breath ex: clohex or hexidine etc.
For dryness of mouth you need to sip water regularly in short intervals. Artificial saliva may help but regular water is the best for symptomatic relief.

Hope this helps.