Have throat ache, slight fever with dry cough. Because of cold weather?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello ,
My throat aches... and I have slight fever...and dry cough and my head and eyes hurt most of the time and I feel weak. I live in Lviv, Ukraine and the temperature has been below 0. Its been 4-5 days since I have this problem.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The description is highly suggestive of ‘flu’.
It is a virus infection and it is common in this season.
It has no direct relation to the cold.

Generally, symptomatic treatment may suffice.
Paracetamol - 650 mg to one gram – every six hours for 2 or 3 days will help the fever. Throat may benefit from lozenges (anti-septic / analgesic).
They will be available over the counter.
Take bed rest.
Have good food and vitamin supplement.

It is viral and generally no antibiotic will be needed.
If you develop cough and the sputum is coloured, you will need one.

If you do not improve in 4 days, you should see your doctor and have yourself examined.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck